Wisconsin Tomorrow Brick-and-Mortar Bounceback Grant
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the Wisconsin Tomorrow Brick-and-Mortar Bounceback Grant?
The goal of the Wisconsin Tomorrow Brick-and-Mortar Bounceback Grant is to provide one-time assistance to new and existing businesses opening a new location or expanding operations in a vacant commercial space. $10,000 grants will be awarded to eligible businesses to assist with costs associated with leases, mortgages, operational expenses and other business costs related to the newly opened location. Grants to businesses provide immediate recovery funding from the American Recovery Plan Act (ARPA) and lead to improved odds of a business opening or expanding and remaining open long-term.
2. When and how can I apply for the grant?
The application window is still being determined. Once available, you will be able to download the application package on this website and submit the required documents via email.
3. Who is eligible and what are the eligible use of funds?
The Wisconsin Tomorrow Brick-and-Mortar Bounceback Grant program funds are available to for-profit businesses and non-profit organizations meeting the following criteria:
- New and existing businesses opening a new location or expanding operations in a vacant commercial space on or after January 1st, 2021 and before or on June 30th, 2022
- Must certify that the business has not or will not vacate a commercial space in Wisconsin to become eligible to claim this grant
Eligible uses of the grant funds include, but are not limited to the following activities:
- Commercial lease/mortgage payments
- Business operating expenses
- Commercial building repair and tenant improvements
4. What information do I need to complete the application?
- Proof of business - acceptable forms of business include, but are not limited to: incorporation documents, government registration (federal, state, county, or city), permits, Doing Business As (or Fictitious Business Name, or Assumed Business Name), or business tax returns. Not accepted are Tax IDs/EINs as proof of business for sole proprietorships.
- Property Information - must provide a copy of a fully executed 12-month lease with a term of 12 months or greater reflecting the Applicant as the tenant or a Land Contract/Contract for Deed or Warranty Deed reflecting the Applicant as the purchaser. The lease/sale documents must also meeting these conditions:
- Executed on or after 1/1/2021 and before or on 6/30/2022
- Contain the location of the commercial property. If it is not contained Applicant must provide additional documentation on the physical location for the property being leased/purchased by the Applicant
- Acknowledgement Letter - must provide a letter from an economic development organization, including but not limited to: regional economic development organization, local municipality, Chamber of Commerce, Business Improvement District, Main Street or Connect Community organization, stating that that business occupant represents a new tenant/owner to the commercial space or an expansion of an existing tenant into additional commercial space, with lease/sale documents dated on or after 1/1/2021 and before or on 6/30/2022. A template/sample letter will be available as part of the application package.
5. How much are the grant awards?
Grants amounts are expected to be $10,000 per eligible applicant
Stay tuned for more information in the coming weeks regarding this grant opportunity! (Information as of 7-26-21)